Saturday, May 9, 2009

Can defects be more than defectives found?

In my training class, I explain the difference between defects and defectives using everyday examples. That way it is simple for the participants to understand these two categories for discrete data.

I had an interesting discussion with one of the participants from my training class last month. He was following well when I explained defects and defectives with examples. However, when we plotted the SPC chart, we entered the number 50 for the quantity inspected. Then we started inputing data for each defect category. We ended up with a count of 54.

This participant raised a question that practically this would never happen. When I asked him "Why he thought so?"
His reasoning was simple!
You cannot have defects more than the number of parts inspected.

After spending several minutes with him I was able to convince him otherwise.
The fact that a single defective product can have multiple defects is sometimes very hard to understand!

No comments: