Saturday, May 23, 2009

Is my data variable or attribute?

From my training class last week, I had an interesting question from one of my class students who was from the healthcare industry.

The student asked "I measure success of tests conducted by lab personnel. For example, I monitor number of blood tests were conducted every day by each lab assistant. I also monitor how many attempts were required for the assistant to successfully draw blood and complete the test.
I want to plot an SPC chart for the number of successful blood draws in single attempt. Should I use variable or attribute control charts?"

My answer to her was a series of questions..
Question 1: What do want the SPC chart to tell you?
Answer : Number of successful blood draws in single attempt.
Also, success rate of each lab personnel.

Question 2: Are either of the above measurements or counts?
Answer : They are counts.

Question 3: What SPC chart helps chart count data?
Answer: Attribute control charts

My student was able to answer her own question after breaking down her problem in small sections.

Have you struggled with data types?
Do you have questions about type of SPC charts you should use?
Please visit our tutorial on "SPC in healthcare" at www.sybeq.com/Tutorial.aspx

No comments: